Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

basic cleaning, oiling.. where to start

so I had my hand at cleaning my 12 guage for the first time.

more options than I expected.

what purpose would a brass vs stainless brush serve? what about a terry one?

the bolt is easy enough to clean and oil, theres a little nook to accept lube.. what other areas are essential to lubricate?

is there an all around spray thats plastic safe for initial spray and soak that comes highly recommended?

any other tips?

was fun field stripping so I can actually clean it for once and not to just see how it all works.

oh and do people generally clean and lube followers also?

Go watch some GunBlue90 and MrGunsAndGear youtubes regarding cleaning. When lubing, I use a fine paintbrush with as little oil as possible. GunBlue used to be an armorer for numerous police forces and worked at Ruger. You might be cool, but you'll never be as cool as GunBlue490 or MrGunsAndGear's dogs.

What brand/action of gun?
    Not everything is generic. Different parts of different actions can benefit from different treatments and lubes...or lack thereof.

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Lots of shop towels. The better half does not appreciate me wiping my grimy hands on everything I wear.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
    What brand/action of gun?
    Not everything is generic. Different parts of different actions can benefit from different treatments and lubes...or lack thereof.
    i'd rather not advertise my arsenal but thats exactly the info I was seeking out.

from breach loaders to pump action to semis in a composite flavour, any vastly superior cleaner out there or are they all generally equal.

on my pump action, i found that soaking a rag in gun lube and running it across the rails gave me some smooth results.

as opposed to dabbing the lube here and there leaving a gunky mess behind.

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    My old warhorse Garands get homebrewed Ed's Red and then whatever grease is in the grease gun. I have used fancy paste wax for some long term storage and wet day use. (A tip from an retired CF member, Kiwi Neutral shoe polish is the cats pyjamas)
    A liter of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic will last for years. No more snake oil/gun specific lubes here. Overpriced for such small quantities. One piece cleaning rods, bronze brushes by the handful and old flannel sheets from yard sales. Value Village t-shirts/ Princess Auto bags of cotton rags are good candidates for patches as well.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

7. The Following User Liked This Post By FALover

lone-wolf (10-11-2018)

YouTube is not the place to get your training.
    "...my arsenal..." You don't have an arsenal. You have a shotgun. Calling one firearm an arsenal is a media hack misinformation thing.
    The brand and action type matters as they're field stripped slightly differently. Although pumps and semi's are completely field stripped as far as necessary when the barrel is off. A single shot or Over/Under is field stripped when the barrel(s) is separated from the action. How that is done is explained in the firearm's manual.
    Go buy a 'Shotgun' cleaning kit and read the instructions.
    "...what purpose would..." Brushes clean out the powder residue and the plastic left by the wad. Doesn't really matter what metal they are, but a SS brush can be harder on the barrel steel. Won't damage it though. The "terry" one is the same thing as a jig with a patch one it. It's for solvent and the removal of said solvent. Plus greasing for long term storage or oiling for short term storage(both of which must come out before shooting).
    "...Kiwi Neutral shoe polish..." CF weapons techs and assorted RSM's would have a stroke if they found shoe polish on weapons. However, shoe polish is excellent stuff for protecting leather(belt, holsters, slings, etc.).
    "...old flannel sheets from..." Remnant flannelette from discount fabric shops. Couple yards, 60" wide, runs less than $10 and provides literally hundreds of 2" x 4" patches.

Most RSMs are quite familiar with neutral shoe polish because they have used it. It makes the metal look oiled without sweating out more carbon.

Shotgun barrel, nylon brush with a splash of oil on it if there's a build up, but I generally just run a lightly oiled mop through it.
    If the bore gets heavily oiled(storage), run a dry patch through before firing.

If it's easy to break down, cooey 64 rifles were good for this, remove the barrel, trigger, bolt, ect. and scrub the insider of the receiver with whatever brush fits.
    Get any gunk good and loose and wipe up with a rag. A brass brush might come in handy during this.
    Just dropping the trigger group out will allow easy access with a handled brush, with the barrel out I use a short cleaning rod and brush/mop.

I wipe down everything with a lightly oiled rag. I tend to avoid any trigger parts though. Pins the hammer and trigger rotate on can get a drop of oil, but I really don't want much oil or anything else in the trigger area collecting dirt or effecting the trigger.

If looking for grease, wheel bearing stuff is available in bigger tubs than gun marketed stuff.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men. It is the exclusive possession of a small and disreputable minority, like knowledge, courage and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty — and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. - H.L. Mencken

when you're a new pal owner it feels like an arsenal

thanks for the info though, so stainless brushes are harsher but not so bad that you cant use them every cleaning.

maybe i'll get a brass one and if I cant quite get a barrel spotless i'll whip out the stainless.

I saw a video where a guy sprayed an aerosol cleaner down the barrel to soak the contaminants before running the brush through, is this a good idea, any great "one size fits all" cleaner out there for this aspect of the cleaning?

shoe polish to keep out the oxidation.. and its polymer safe if I apply sloppy?

I played around with some polymer sealants in the past too for automotive finishing.. they are more for sticking to clearcoats though i'd imagine.. its still an interesting idea worth exploring though.

keep it up if anyone else has tips/advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast