Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. #21
    Industry expert
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    127
    No not you

  2. #22
    Canadian ForcesMember 6MT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,537
    I have both the Coyote and the C14. Love 'em both!

    both are 1/3moa or better rifles when I do my part

    And yeah, those groups in the video aren't the greatest. But neither is the ammo he's using. And throw in a wee bit of operator .....let's say....(OK, I won't say).

    With handloads, these really shine. I've had some well known people try both my Coyote and Timberwolf out. They were impressed.

    Expensive? Yes. But that over engineered model 70 action and big heavy Kreiger barrel, do wonders in a military environment. Not to mention the civilian one too. I will be rechamberring my Coyote in 6.5x47L when the time comes. I've also changed out those brakes on both rifles. You can do much better than that "thing" that PGW uses.

    The worse thing...? Those silly proprietary magazines. In .308, you need to really seat deep to get that round to fit that silly seven (why seven?) round mag. That's why I single feed mine. (When I re-do things in the x47 round, that magazine will finally work properly with the shorter round no matter how long I make it.) Too bad it will still only be seven rounds.

    Are they for everyone? Nope. But they are bad-a$$.

    and no, they are not the "ultimate" sniper rifle

    Last edited by 6MT; 11-08-2018 at 07:58 PM.

  3. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By 6MT

    Drache (11-08-2018), Lee Enfield (11-08-2018), Waterloomike (11-08-2018)

  4. #23
    Senior Member Petamocto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Rusagonis/Waasis, NB
    Posts
    5,539
    Seputin,

    I can’t even begin to understand your post. I said that the optimal caliber would be something between 7.62mm and 338 Lapua, and then you explained why 7.62 is too small and 338 is too large.

    Do you understand the concept of a range or spectrum? In using those calibers as my bookends, I was not supporting either but stating that the best calibre would be between the two.

    My point was that I knew both of those had bell curves that were close but not perfect, but at some point they would overlap, and that’s what I was saying would be the “ideal” caliber as brought up in the original post.
    I have no signature block.

  5. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    Seputin,

    I can’t even begin to understand your post. I said that the optimal caliber would be something between 7.62mm and 338 Lapua, and then you explained why 7.62 is too small and 338 is too large.

    Do you understand the concept of a range or spectrum? In using those calibers as my bookends, I was not supporting either but stating that the best calibre would be between the two.

    My point was that I knew both of those had bell curves that were close but not perfect, but at some point they would overlap, and that’s what I was saying would be the “ideal” caliber as brought up in the original post.
    I posted
    While I get that 7.62 is a current military caliber, it isn't the best long range caliber. Smaller bullets with higher velocity are more effective downrange, have a flatter trajectory, a longer supersonic envelope and are easier to shoot due to reduced recoil.
    K, I can kinda see how what I wrote might not be 100% clear. What I meant was that calibers smaller than .308 work better at longer ranges. I was thinking of 6mm and 6.5mm rounds. The problem with .30 cal is that 308 doesn't really drive projectiles fast enough and something like 300 Mag or the other .30 cal magnums produce a lot of felt recoil which makes shooting them unpleasant and more difficult for the average marksman.

    I've been shooting a 308W at long distances lately and its really difficult to find a combination of BC and muzzle velocity that will propel the bullet out much past 1200yds or thereabouts. Years ago I had a hot-rodded 243 and that thing would easily chuck bullets well out past a mile with way less recoil and a flatter trajectory.

    I've shot a 338LM and a 338 RUM a few times and those things are downright unpleasant to shoot. Sure they huck a Jesus big chunk of lead downrange but honestly, who wants to shoot that thing enough to get really good at it? Whereas with my old 243, it was a pleasure to go out and practice at long ranges.

    Years ago I did a bit of research and it turns out 6.5mm is where the combination of bullet weight and velocity peak. This would seem to be the ultimate long range caliber.

  6. #25
    Industry expert
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    127
    I agree the groupings weren’t great and I was very disappointed in them. I wanted to use factory ammo so that it was fair for demonstration. Unfortunately the chamber needed a really good cleaning. I w have handloads that shoot much better bother using bergers and Mosley RDFs. Now that it’s clean I will re film the groupings and film it. Unfortunately it’s too late to add it to the video. There were many delays and parts I edited out that shows reliability. For example the day I was shooting at the sand put the wind was gusting up to 30km/h and sand was filling the action. I also noticed you mentioned 7 round mags PGW must have changed the mag all of mine hold 10 rounds. I also modified MDT followers and springs to make the mags more reliable. The flat price of plastic they call a follower is a joke. I’m still able to fit 20 rounds with the mdt follower and spring it was just a bit of missing the follower to get them to fit. I also found that mag extensions such as the area419 and MPA will fit the mag to give you more rounds maybe you could look into those
    Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    I have both the Coyote and the C14. Love 'em both!

    both are 1/3moa or better rifles when I do my part

    And yeah, those groups in the video aren't the greatest. But neither is the ammo he's using. And throw in a wee bit of operator .....let's say....(OK, I won't say).

    With handloads, these really shine. I've had some well known people try both my Coyote and Timberwolf out. They were impressed.

    Expensive? Yes. But that over engineered model 70 action and big heavy Kreiger barrel, do wonders in a military environment. Not to mention the civilian one too. I will be rechamberring my Coyote in 6.5x47L when the time comes. I've also changed out those brakes on both rifles. You can do much better than that "thing" that PGW uses.

    The worse thing...? Those silly proprietary magazines. In .308, you need to really seat deep to get that round to fit that silly seven (why seven?) round mag. That's why I single feed mine. (When I re-do things in the x47 round, that magazine will finally work properly with the shorter round no matter how long I make it.) Too bad it will still only be seven rounds.

    Are they for everyone? Nope. But they are bad-a$$.

    and no, they are not the "ultimate" sniper rifle


  7. #26
    Canadian ForcesMember 6MT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,537
    I did not realize that PGW had changed the mags. Mine for the Coyote only hold 7 rounds of the .308 sized case. There is no plastic parts on them. They are all steel. The same for the C14.

  8. #27
    Industry expert
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    127
    Even the followers were steel? I bet you could order some followers from MDT and get them to fit your mags allowing you to get more rounds in there
    Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    I did not realize that PGW had changed the mags. Mine for the Coyote only hold 7 rounds of the .308 sized case. There is no plastic parts on them. They are all steel. The same for the C14.

  9. #28
    Canadian ForcesMember 6MT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,537
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeLine View Post
    Even the followers were steel? I bet you could order some followers from MDT and get them to fit your mags allowing you to get more rounds in there
    Well, it's a moot point with the .308 case and that mag. When I rechamber to the x47 round, I'll be able to stack the short fatty in that mag no problem. I don't mind single feeding the Coyote anyways. In fact I had it out today for the first time since July. Doping the wind today out to 800m...what a hoot!

  10. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By 6MT

    FallisCowboy (11-11-2018), Lee Enfield (11-10-2018), LifeLine (11-10-2018)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •