Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    I'm guessing that is this place: https://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/solut...ties/drao.html

If it is, it is a solar observatory. Hams from around the world read reports from it all the time as the sun affects radio propagation (things like sun spots are very important). As for that picket fence looking thing, I don't know. It doesn't look like an antenna and it is odd if it were one that they'd have trees growing in it.

EDIT: still haven't found info on it, but the "picket fence" could be a phased array receive antenna system as such systems are usually vertical and evenly spaced. Found some photos online with a bit of elevation that show it to be in a large capital T shape.
    It might be similar to the setup in NS by the NS/NB border. Apparently very long range kinda stuff, with the wires possibly buried during WW2. If true, then vegetation wouldn’t be a factor.

Could also be a different sort of lighting rod. There are some funky ones around Edmonton.

But, if it’s HAM friendly, I’m sure someone could email, phone or even radio them to find out...

Just sent them an email inquiring.
    Fight Bill C-71 by visiting http://oneclearvoice.ca now with new printable/editable versions
    An Open Letter to Canadian Gun Owners

For those of you who have no idea what DougM and Sir Veyor are talking about, here's a historically interesting primer

http://osnetdaily.com/2015/04/why-th...rgest-antenna/

https://fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/c3i/f...ke_elf2003.pdf
    Last edited by LB303; 11-08-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Norrish Creek. 5 minutes away from me. Nice place. Not to many fish.

It doesn't matter whether the gun they have is illegal or not they don't care about laws in the first place. You could make every gun illegal and you would still have these guys armed to the teeth it's not laws against guns we need laws against criminals !

5. The Following User Liked This Post By ruger#1

Doug_M (11-08-2018)

Got a reply (PM me if you want me to email the files he attached):

Hi Doug,

The Pole Farm, as we call it, is what is left of a now defunct 22MHz radio telescope. It was a large array of dipoles with, about a quarter of a wavelength below, an array of wires forming a ground plane, so all those dipoles were looking upwards. The wires are hard to see, but the poles are conspicuous. The purpose of the instrument was to map the emission from the Milky Way at that wavelength. In order to get a usable angular resolution (small beamwidth) at such a long wavelength (around 13.6m) the antenna has to be big. Making a sufficiently large dish would have been impractical, so a large array of dipoles was chosen as a more achievable option, although the receiver system ends up being far more complex.

In the early 1960's around when this antenna was built we still had a lot to learn about radio emissions from the Milky Way. In addition the discovery of radio emissions from the Milky Way was made at 22 MHz by Karl Jansky, around 1932. His antenna was too small to map anything and also it was designed to look at the horizon. His work needed to be followed up with observations by a real imager.

We have a poster on the instrument and I found a scientific paper on its use. I have attached them.

Regards,

Ken
    Fight Bill C-71 by visiting http://oneclearvoice.ca now with new printable/editable versions
    An Open Letter to Canadian Gun Owners

7. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By Doug_M

kennymo (11-09-2018), LB303 (11-09-2018), ruger#1 (11-09-2018), SIR VEYOR (11-09-2018)

I like ice fishing

The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By tigrr

kennymo (11-12-2018), SIR VEYOR (11-09-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    I like ice fishing
    I know things are big in BC, but that sink is huge!

Awesome catch!

Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    I know things are big in BC, but that sink is huge!

Awesome catch!
    I am kinda disappointed. Where is all the ice he caught. All I see is slimy fish.

It doesn't matter whether the gun they have is illegal or not they don't care about laws in the first place. You could make every gun illegal and you would still have these guys armed to the teeth it's not laws against guns we need laws against criminals !

Nice fish tigrr. See you guys in a week. Headed to the cabin. I will try and get more pictures. Lots of eagles this time of the year.

2 moose

2 elk

2 die for home made banana split.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

14. The Following User Liked This Post By tigrr

ruger#1 (11-12-2018)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast