Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about Pal/RPAL and background check

Hey fellas. New to the forum. And fairly new to the sport. Have always been into shooting since my military service. Long story short. Had a colorfull youth so to speak. And had a few run ins with the law. Mostly as a youth (34 years old now) and my last charge was a threats charge in 2003. Which ended up in a non conviction. Peace bond. I was 18 at the time. For the longest time I just always was discouraged about the questions on the form. And forgot about guns all together. Just wrote it off. Fast forward 15 years. And a friend of mine had been taking me out to his range and I decided to look into taking the courses. Which I did. Took ans conpleted both. As it had been so long I could answer no to all the questions genuinely and truthfully. I have zero convictions on my record. And the questions ask about 5 years. But now upon further research I have learned they pull and judge on all police files. And non convictions. And not guilty verdicts. And that extends your entire life. Which is discouraging. As who I was at 18. Is not who I am as a well to do 34 year old man with not so much as a speeding ticket. But am worried I got excited over nothing and that even with no convictions my past will haunt me and prevent me from ever obtaining a license. Can anyone shed any light on this topic? Holding people as guilty of charges they were acquitted on 15 years ago seems a bit extreme. But it is Canada. And they apparently can see youth records. Sealed records acquittals and that any episode of violent behavior. No matter the time line will make things hard. I would hope some one would take I to account the long time clean record. Non convictions. And that a verbal shouting match with no actual fighting to be what it was. 18 year old childish behavior.

Only thing to do is start the process and see what they say. A long history of good behaviour and good references will often overshadow some youthful indiscretions. Just don’t lie on your application.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Only thing to do is start the process and see what they say. A long history of good behaviour and good references will often overshadow some youthful indiscretions. Just don’t lie on your application.
    Of course not. Didn’t have to lie on the application. Felt good about it even. It said in the last 5 years. But looking at it now. It looks like long odds. And that they go way beyond the 5 years. And even beyond record checks. As I have checked when I was 23. No record. Been the United States many times. 0 issues there. So maybe I am a bit overly concerned. But was supprised to know you can be judged and delayed for any police interaction guilty or not. Nothing to hide. Been a good and decent man my entire adult life. Have great references. And the approval of my wife. She feels 3 gun is a lot cheaper than cars was. But she hasn’t looked into how quickly the tab can grow on a gun store site.

Quote Originally Posted by Mchurrikane View Post
    But now upon further research I have learned they pull and judge on all police files. And non convictions. And not guilty verdicts. And that extends your entire life.
    That information is accurate.

I got out of jail more than 10 years ago, the CFO could see not only what I was convinced of (4 charges) but what I was CHARGED with (86 charges). Nuts! All of the offences were firearm related. The CFO said because none of the crimes were violence related or drugs/gangs related there wouldn't be an issue issuing my license.

Have faith that it will go through. The moment the online PAL status says they've processed your application call the firearms center every other day and ask if it's been sent to the CFO yet. Once it gets to the CFO call them and ask them if you can get a status update of your application and if there's any other information they need to process your application.

If they deny your application you can appeal it, and only if you're a current threat to the public can they deny your license on appeal.

Good luck and keep us posted!

-Jamie M.

Have gun, will travel. Forbes/Hutton's Avatar
    A peace bond is not a finding of, or evidence of guilt. It won't even be mentioned (unless it was a domestic issue).
    Remember: the opposite of "Far Right" is Far Wrong.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I'd say you're in the clear if you've been clear for 15 years.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

Thanks so much for the detailed information and reply man. It does kind of suck. I guess I can see why they are going back that far. I could understand them holding it against me if it was a guilty conviction. But anything in my file is non conviction and 15 years old. But that peace bond was for violence. Well threat of violence. But what 18 year old hasn’t got into a dust up once upon a time after a few beers. At 34 the closest it gets is telling a guy st work he’s an asshole because it’s his day to pay for
    Donuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    A peace bond is not a finding of, or evidence of guilt. It won't even be mentioned (unless it was a domestic issue).

Oh I know the legalities of it. And I have no record. But the CPIC will show a threats charge issues. For a fight at a party. When I was in high school. Which is absurd. I mean if you are judged on a record that isn’t supposed to be there. What is the point. Guilty without even being found guilty. I know in an interview with me or my references it won’t be an issue. But I know I could be looking at a years worth of delays.

Pending the results of the '19 election, we all may have reason to worry 'bout our shooting "rights".

Quote Originally Posted by wolver View Post
    Pending the results of the '19 election, we all may have reason to worry 'bout our shooting "rights".
    I would think with all rational
    Thought Trudeau is long gone man. But that Goodale liberal is really trying to make guns something too much of a paper shuffle to even bother with. I was really worried about how they are going to change the 5 year background check to life. But that’s already been going on. None of us are going to do the courses register the guns. Then pay and register at a range. To use them for crime. They are really just trying to not ban guns. That sounds bad. And raises a stink. But backlog everyone with so much paperwork that it’s no longer with it and we voluntarily don’t want to do it. Big law firms do this all the time to win cases. File so many motions it buries the other company and the one with the most budget to float wins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast