Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My PAL/RPAL course was $100 each. $200 total. This was Ontario just over a decade ago.
    Class had about 20 students, with primary instructor and assistant, and two testers (practical and written) who came in for three hours the last day.
    All ammo was fake {plastic, snap caps, bullet&brass but no powder no primer and sometimes with an extra hole in the side of the brass in addition to the primer hole}. Firearms without firing pins where that was easy to do. No shooting.

Everyone has their own teaching style I guess. An assistant is good when the class is large. My restricted class, there were 12 of us with one instructor.
    Demand is always high, and instructors are few and far between it seems. An artificial scarcity brought about by government meddling? At any rate, those of us that were functioning at a higher level allowed the others to have more face time in the shooting lanes, and it all worked out.

I did my course when I was 14. There was only one firearms course, so you could get it and the hunter safety course in one weekend. The instructor charged the lowest fee he was legally allowed to. All firearms were the same ones he used, probably with the firing pins removed.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Whoah.....WHAT ???? How much are they charging if you just do the PAL and RPAL together ?!?! Either lunch had better be included, Im missing something, or that had better include both of you.
    These numbers include tax. I believe PAL and RPAL are $260 together (or $150 each on their own). My original numbers ($450 & $600) are a little rounded, but close enough for the point.

And yeah. Expensive.

My husband did his PAL/RPAL in Saskatchewan. It was a one day course and about $150, four years ago. The course I will be doing is one day for PAL, one day for RPAL and one day for OHEP.

They didn't say anything about food.

Rather than going on memory I just dug up the information from their website.

The CFSC is $190.50. The CRFSC is $190.50 or $110.00 if having completed the CFSC within 30 days with same instructor. The OHEP course is $190.50 and does not list a discount if all three are signed up for at once, but the person I spoke with in person at the range said there is a package deal (which is where I got my original rough numbers).

Anyway ... I think I know what I'm going to do regarding the courses. The consensus I'm getting is that it would be worthwhile for me to do the OHEP as well as PAL/RPAL.

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By r5s78

IJ22 (03-15-2018), Rory McCanuck (03-14-2018)

You said there may be a chance of you hunting. Do all three, you will be glad you did.
    Member of CCFR/CSSA/NRA

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Dano68

r5s78 (03-16-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by r5s78 View Post
    Rather than going on memory I just dug up the information from their website.

The CFSC is $190.50. The CRFSC is $190.50 or $110.00 if having completed the CFSC within 30 days with same instructor. The OHEP course is $190.50 and does not list a discount if all three are signed up for at once, but the person I spoke with in person at the range said there is a package deal (which is where I got my original rough numbers).

Anyway ... I think I know what I'm going to do regarding the courses. The consensus I'm getting is that it would be worthwhile for me to do the OHEP as well as PAL/RPAL.
    Good choice. We did it the other way, out of ignorance. Never foresaw the need for an RPAL so just did the PAL. Needless to say a couple years later we were back doing the RPAL. Then a couple years later the OHEP. Glad you won't be repeating our mistake.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By IJ22

r5s78 (03-16-2018)

My wife and I did them both with no failures in the class but the instructor has in the past, during the RPAL, automatically failed someone, who inadvertently, pointed the handgun at or in the direction of a student, automatic fail, especially for someone who has not ever handled a handgun and tried to look for a safety and rolled it to the side to look, not noticing the barrel was pointed at the student next to them, automatic fail. It happens, I guess.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By RandyN

r5s78 (03-18-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Whoah.....WHAT ???? How much are they charging if you just do the PAL and RPAL together ?!?! Either lunch had better be included, Im missing something, or that had better include both of you.
    In Ontario its 170 for the PAL and 110 for the RPAL, and with 13% tax you get to around $317

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by DuhBoredShooter View Post
    In Ontario its 170 for the PAL and 110 for the RPAL, and with 13% tax you get to around $317
    Highway Robbery. It was 50$ each per course. I paid 100$ +15% Taxes so, 115$ for both my PAL and RPAL course.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast