Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RobertMcC
    When I did the course, It was 2 days NR, than last day was restricted. If you signed up for both.

Only thing with restricted, shorter the barrel, the easier it is to wave around. Only thing I could see someone failing for. Is sweeping someone with a muzzle. If you pass the NR, no reason why you should fail the Restricted.

My course experience. YMMV.

PAL was one saturday instruction, one Sunday morning handling, then the exam written and practical.

RPAL was the following Saturday instruction, one Sunday morning handling then the exam written and practical.

Instructor told those coming back for the second weekend to not send in our application until we finished both. That way would we check the appropriate box on the application for PAL if that's all we passed or both PAL and RPAL if we didn't. It also affected the fee we paid with the application.

So in short, too late, it is possible to pass only the PAL and still get the license. The other way not so much as the first level is a requisite for the second.

Rare but it happened in my class. One person couldn't handle the muzzle and kept pointing it outside of the safe direction promoted by the instructor all weekend long. I recall he said he would just continue bow hunting then.

FWIW.

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Liked This Post By triq

r5s78 (03-13-2018)

Also even if you don't intend to hunt, with a hunting license you can walk around the woods with a loaded rifle and plink poisonous mushrooms or whatever. So there's that. Safety first though, of course. Also if you go target shooting in the woods you don't have to worry about proving you're not hunting.

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By IJ22

r5s78 (03-13-2018), Rory McCanuck (03-13-2018)

When my son took his Pal/RPal he was the only one who passed the RPal. A friend of mine was the examiner and said the failures were epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    Holy MoneyGrab Batman!
    Is it $190 even with the other two courses?

I'd say take it, every extra bit of knowledge is a good thing, but for $200 I can see why people wouldn't.
    Rather than being around $600 for all three courses it works out to around $450 for all three courses if I sign up for them all at once.

*edited to change $cost of courses, I went back and looked again
    Last edited by r5s78; 03-13-2018 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Enfield View Post
    When my son took his Pal/RPal he was the only one who passed the RPal. A friend of mine was the examiner and said the failures were epic.
    Did he give any indication as to what the students did wrong to fail?

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by r5s78 View Post
    Rather than being around $600 for all three courses it works out to around $450 for all three courses if I sign up for them all at once.

*edited to change $cost of courses, I went back and looked again
    Whoah.....WHAT ???? How much are they charging if you just do the PAL and RPAL together ?!?! Either lunch had better be included, Im missing something, or that had better include both of you.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Whoah.....WHAT ???? How much are they charging if you just do the PAL and RPAL together ?!?! Either lunch had better be included, Im missing something, or that had better include both of you.
    Sounds about right for Ontari-owe. IIRC it was 160-ish for my PAL, had to pass that before I could reserve a spot in the RPAL course, another 100-odd for my RPAL, plus another 100-ish for ammo, then the hunter's course I had to wait for one to come up, and it was somewhere in the mid/high 100's and it involved a 2 hours drive each way on a February day that ended up being a blizzard... add my range key and holster course, we're in the 800 ballpark. plus 350 a year

edit - they did feed us though, all of them
    oh yeah I forgot the turkey course. Well at least that's gone now
    Last edited by LB303; 03-14-2018 at 12:55 AM.

My courses costed whatever it was to send the paperwork in. $80?

Ammo cost? They had you actually shoot?
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Yes! That was the 2nd day of the restricted course. Instructor had soooo many different guns, I just had to buy some different calibers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast