Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lee Enfield is all I can say...

Sorry very bias towards them...

For a frist gun, buying used is a good idea. Cheaper pricing and the ability to wheel and deal.

However, I would say a SKS in a Tapco stock from the Firearms Outlet is a good buy.

I think you can take all suggestions, but in the end, the choice will be about what you like, what drives you to take up shooting, what means something to you. For some people it is finding a firearm that is similar to the first one they used with their Dad. For some, it is about the blast of shooting. For others, it is about the technical discipline of competitive shooting. For others again, it is about collecting and enjoying the experience and intricacies of each firearm they own.

In my experience, if there is a toss up between two firearms, it isn't really a choice about which one you will buy, but which one you will buy first. Curiosity will pull you in, eventually.

Hey guys. Man I missed this site. I finally got my PAL/RPAL and I think I have settled on a gun. I'm really looking at a Savage Mk 2 FV Heavy barrel. I've heard synthetic stocks have some issues and factory iron sights are of poorer quality. Could you guys let me know what to expect of this gun or if there is a more affordable and higher quality option? I'm only particular on .22LR, bolt action, and preferably Canadian made. Thanks guys.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Doug

Swampdonkey (09-08-2017)

Start by determining what other competitors are using in the type of target shooting that interests you.
    Gun Control is about making it unlawful for you to use, carry, or possess a firearm.

All restrictions/prohibitions on the use, carriage, or possession of firearms must be repealed.

Middle ground?

What middle ground?

Mosin Nagant. If you don't already own one, you need to go out and buy one so that you can say you do. Now. Go. Get off the internet. Mosin. N-A-G-A-N-T.
    if someone drives by and you're in your underwear, beating a porcupine to death and laughing hysterically, it might be bad for business.

.22 first

Hi I started with a semi auto .22 used, bought from Epps in north Orillia and am buying a Browning 1911 .22 pistol, I have small hands, have no complaints from me by starting small.

Quote Originally Posted by LeMat View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm just getting started with shooting, having just passed my PAL and RPAL exams and currently in the waiting period. I'm mostly interested in target shooting --- I had a great time doing it in the army reserves ages ago and am excited to try my hand at pistols in addition to rifles.

The advice I've received so far is that even if I'm ultimately interested in a larger caliber, I should start off with a .22LR pistol and a .22 LR rifle. Cheap and interchangeable ammo, light frames, low recoil... learn the basics and develop good habits before blowing a hole in something. That seems to make sense, and since I'm interested in target shooting I'm in no rush to move up to bigger bores beyond the fact that it's fun to make loud noises. (And it is.)

I'm currently in Toronto, which means I'm going to have a really hard time finding a place that will both let me try out a firearm and sell it to me. I've probably got a maximum budget of about $1000 each, but I'd obviously prefer to keep costs down for something possibly more exciting later.

So just a few questions:

1) Do you agree with the advice about starting with the rimfire guns, or should I start with the calibers I'm interested in sticking with?

2) Do you know of anyplace in or around Toronto where someone can try out a range of firearms before buying them? Ideally someplace with a large selection?

3) Would you recommend choosing from the range of firearms available at whatever range is also a retailer, so that I can be sure it's something comfortable even if I don't find a "perfect fit"; or should I buy something I really like and is well-regarded and then get used to it?

4) If you agree that .22LR is a good starting point and that it might be a good idea to buy before trying, I was thinking about the Sig P226R and the Ruger 10/22. Thoughts? Alternatives?

Thanks!

Buy one of the ones for sale on here and support these guys, they will be your biggest help whenever you need some.

A gun from on here will be in good condition and at a fair price.

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Joshua13

GTW (09-09-2017)

Thanks for the opinion. I'm only looking at .22's right now and actually settled on a Savage Mk 2 G as the wood stock felt much more natural then the synthetic. The price was also better. In the future I'll look into the Mosin. A 7.62 is a few pennies more to shoot but it looks like a beautiful rifle.

Purchased a GSG 1911 .22 in snow cammo from Canada Ammo for my wife and I have to tell you, lots of fun to shoot. Wife wanted it because it looks pretty. She now wants a 9mm because the .22 is fun to shoot but not much punch to it. If you are going to buy a pistol, you might want to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanvok View Post
    Purchased a GSG 1911 .22 in snow cammo from Canada Ammo for my wife and I have to tell you, lots of fun to shoot. Wife wanted it because it looks pretty. She now wants a 9mm because the .22 is fun to shoot but not much punch to it. If you are going to buy a pistol, you might want to go that route.
    go for a 45ACP.... 9mm is more of a target practice round.
    Member of CWTF, NDA, CSSA, OFAH

I am a reloader, because I like the freedom to shoot without limits.
    all I gotta do is load MOAR!!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast