Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Can't argue with the above, the 22lr will make a fine first rifle.

However, if I had to do it again I would choose the shotgun. No other firearm puts a smile on my face like the shotgun.

target sports has guns you can try and buy. it's 20 mins or so from 404 and 401.

first determine where you will be shooting.
    consider trying skeet in barrie and Uxbridge...
    as deerbeargrouse said, shotguns 100 percent over 22lr....if u have a place to shoot them.

no comment on pistols...still a noob.

I have to agree with the .22 for starting off, especially for the rifle.

Just a couple of points: If you buy quality, you will have it and enjoy it for the rest of your life. If you buy used, you will be able to sell or trade it for around the same as you paid for it, as long as you don't buy a lemon (they are out there also). Before you buy, sniff around some of your gunny friends and ask for the opportunity to put a couple of rounds downrange; offer to cover the ammo costs.

For a pistol, .22 is a good choice. A good alternative is a .38/357 revolver, especially if you will one day reload. Before you go that direction, look at the price of ammo for 100 rounds of .22 versus 100 rounds of .38.
    "Chances are your relatives would not have picked you either"

...from the Graz family crest.

Quote Originally Posted by goosesniper View Post
    Myself I like the marlin 22 over the Ruger 22. Rifle
    Why do you prefer the Marlin over the Ruger? I'm thinking of getting a .22 and have shot Rugers many times, but never a Marlin.
    How do I change my signature to something about Bacon?

Everyone should own a .22LR pistol. If only for teaching newcomers to the sport how to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eel View Post
    Why do you prefer the Marlin over the Ruger? I'm thinking of getting a .22 and have shot Rugers many times, but never a Marlin.
    I'm in the same boat as well, have a Marlin 795 and love it, for a couple reasons:
    They're substantially cheaper than a ruger 10/22
    You can get 25 round mags for them without having to worry about the rcmp's "prohibition limbo" that the ruger 25 round mags are currently in
    Now these are rare, but I have seen them in canada, there are also 70 rd drum mags for the marlin, if you can find them

Marlin is just as accurate, if not more, than the Ruger. But the one flaw it has is the plastic trigger guard/mag mouth, eventually it will break. But, you can order a solid aluminum one out of the states for about $75 or so shipped to your door, and still be well under the cost of the Ruger, just did it myself a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DasMauser View Post
    I'm in the same boat as well, have a Marlin 795 and love it, for a couple reasons:
    They're substantially cheaper than a ruger 10/22
    You can get 25 round mags for them without having to worry about the rcmp's "prohibition limbo" that the ruger 25 round mags are currently in
    Now these are rare, but I have seen them in canada, there are also 70 rd drum mags for the marlin, if you can find them
    Well this is very interesting indeed. I am going to have to look into a Marlin I think. Besides, everyone and their dog has a 10/22, and I like different, that's part of the reason I got my T/C. Thanks for the tips!
    How do I change my signature to something about Bacon?

Quote Originally Posted by Eel View Post
    I have shot both as well. I like the barrel on the marlin. More like a bull barrel. Microgrove riffling. Better accuracy. I bought the birch stock with stainless finish. Shoots awesome and I wasn't interested in spending loads of doe on mods. So I went with the marlin sd60

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are lots of good prices on 22s. And I recently saw some very good prices on 22 revolvers from a vendor here. So a revolver and a pistol might be an idea as well.

Revolver would let you try a few different methods of target shooting as well. Indulge your inner Lone Ranger.

Of course, being GTA, getting the range membership taken care of might be the bigger purchase to deal with first (time & $$). And depending on your mobility, a rifle might be best to wait on. Go with what will be most convenient to shoot. Treat it like a gym membership. Best one is the one that's easiest to get to/use. Let's you meet the most peopl and learn the most, fastest.

I'm thinking about getting one of these when my license gets here.

https://www.gotenda.com/shop/firearm...classic-rifle/

https://www.gotenda.com/shop/firearm...-wildcat-22lr/

mostly cause they're in stock... and not too expensive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast