Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by StouffvilleGuy View Post
    That's an understatement lol. Finesse has never been my thing, but thank you for recognizing what my underlining point was.

My comment had no ill intention, I truly don't want him being screwed over in both the licensing process or in a real world situation where a handgun would be useless.
    I over reacted. I interpreted your post as one of a sarcastic tone. I was wrong. I apologize. I truly know nothing about guns, and I really just want to learn as much about them as possible.
    And I appreciate you taking the time to explain yourself, and not jumping down my throat for my over reacting.

I hope you guys can forgive a newb who's just trying to learn as much as humanly possible on this subject.

Cheers.

2. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By Gr8ness

DanN (02-16-2017), gtr (02-16-2017), IJ22 (02-16-2017), r5s78 (03-13-2018)

Learned everything you can by watching YouTube xcetera and even going to range if you can before actually getting your firearms license so you're not completely lost.

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by KB_TheDireWolf View Post
    Learned everything you can by watching YouTube xcetera and even going to range if you can before actually getting your firearms license so you're not completely lost.
    False. The worst ones are the ones that think they know everything because they watched it on so in so. You can go in blind and still pass.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By RobertMcC

JustBen (07-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    False. The worst ones are the ones that think they know everything because they watched it on so in so. You can go in blind and still pass.
    Agreed, and there's nothing worse than sitting for an extra hour because some moron keeps interrupting with questions "cuz that's not what the guy on YouTube said".

I just go with the flow and pay attention.

It's not rocket science. Just some history and safety tips. There is basically one thing you need to know: Safety First Second Last and Final.
    Member of CWTF, NDA, CSSA, OFAH

I am a reloader, because I like the freedom to shoot without limits.
    all I gotta do is load MOAR!!!!!

8. The Following User Liked This Post By linung

Doug_M (07-27-2017)

Um, I never said that I know everything and I would hate for people to jsut take one YouTubers word too without having any validity. I was saying just as a way to learn about firearm basics. The Canadian safety training video is there.

You just have to use your brain and figure out what's bogus or not. I am also not that stereotypical for being a young person as

.1: my Aspergers makes me think very logical and focus on certain things and sit there cross check my info for at times an hour or more. So I am not going to take the word of one bubbahead.

2. Channels that I watch are somewhat different than you might think. C&Arsenal has excellent videos so far first world war military firearms. I particularly enjoy the Ross rifle one. Forgoten Wepons is very cool! Wish I had a EM-2 . Britishmuzzleloaders is also a good local channel from Canada, Cap and Ball is a Hungarian black powder shooter etc.

Hell, I even do YouTube....

Though this page is about 5 months old and the OP probably has his PAL by now I just didn't check before posting my riginal post.
    Last edited by KB_TheDireWolf; 07-26-2017 at 11:00 PM.

The problem with YouTube is viewing the "right" videos. There are many many horrible examples of how to use firearms on YouTube. But there are also some excellent examples. If someone is interested in seeing a wide variety of arms I'd recommend Hickok45 and Forgotten Weapons. For excellence in sport combined with great safety, I'd recommend Jerry Miculek. For prep for taking one's PAL? I recommend nothing.
    Our freedoms ARE the greater good.

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by KB_TheDireWolf View Post
    Um, I never said that I know everything and I would hate for people to jsut take one YouTubers word too without having any validity. I was saying just as a way to learn about firearm basics. The Canadian safety training video is there.

You just have to use your brain and figure out what's bogus or not. I am also not that stereotypical for being a young person as

.1: my Aspergers makes me think very logical and focus on certain things and sit there cross check my info for at times an hour or more. So I am not going to take the word of one bubbahead.

2. Channels that I watch are somewhat different than you might think. C&Arsenal has excellent videos so far first world war military firearms. I particularly enjoy the Ross rifle one. Forgoten Wepons is very cool! Wish I had a EM-2 . Britishmuzzleloaders is also a good local channel from Canada, Cap and Ball is a Hungarian black powder shooter etc.

Hell, I even do YouTube....

Though this page is about 5 months old and the OP probably has his PAL by now I just didn't check before posting my riginal post.
    Problem is there are many that believe that what they see on youtube is correct. In the tactical world you'll see alot of "FADS". There are many "trainers" without actual experience teaching people. That is even worst.

You do not need to learn firearm basic, to do the PAL course. Because that is what the course teaches. Its easier to teach someone that has NO skill proper, then someone with fake skills ( because they seen it on so in so )

Difference is we got our PAL, you do not yet. But the OP reason to own a firearm will prevent him from owning one.

But the OP reason to own a firearm will prevent him from owning one.
    Funny thing... I don't remember seeing that question on the application and there was no interview of any kind.

I was just thinking about trying to go hunting and going through all the necessary steps and preparation.
    Member of CWTF, NDA, CSSA, OFAH

I am a reloader, because I like the freedom to shoot without limits.
    all I gotta do is load MOAR!!!!!

OP is nearly a year old.
    No such thing as 'the tactical world'. 'Tactical' is a marketing term only.
    The problem with YouTube is the same as Wikipedia. Anybody with internet access can post anything they like on both. And you cannot learn proper firearms handling from a video.
    Mind you, PAL instructors aren't all qualified to teach either. There are many "trainers" without actual experience teaching people the PAL/RPAL courses too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast