Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question PAL Licensing help.

Hey guys,

First time poster here. I'm new to the world of firearms, and I'd love to get right into it. I've never had a gun license, let alone hold a gun. So I'm a total newb to all of this. I just visited the RCMP's website, and according to what I've read : "The Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) is the only licence currently available to new applicants. It is renewable every five years. As a general rule, applicants must have passed the Canadian Firearms Safety Course." (CFSC).

But right below the details for the CFSC is more information on the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC). It states : "In accordance with the Firearms Act, a firearms safety course focusing on restricted firearms was developed and implemented on February 1, 1999. Individuals wishing to acquire restricted firearms must take the full classroom delivery of the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) and the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC), and pass all the tests."

So....the first paragraph talks about the CFSC & the second paragraph talks about "restricted firearms" and the CRFSC.

All I want is to have a handgun (not a shotgun or a rifle) to protect my family. Do I need to take both courses, or can I just take the CFSC???

The CFSC is a prerequisite to the CRFSC. You will have to take both courses.
    You have to get a range membership, prior to or when you buy a handgun, if the place of sales has a range. That is required as you need a place for Target shooting. Which is generally the reason for owning a handgun.
    If you use your reason for owning a handgun on your application form for the RPAL, you are not likely to receive a licence. Target shooting or being a gun collector are valid reasons.
    Welcome to the forum !
    Last edited by 88 louie; 12-27-2016 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Added Welcome to the forum.

3. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By 88 louie

JO-VIPER (08-23-2017), kennymo (12-27-2016), lone-wolf (12-27-2016), r5s78 (03-13-2018), Rory McCanuck (12-27-2016)

There's exactly one firearms license in Canada, the PAL.

You take the CFSC, you get your PAL.

At the same time you take your CFSC, take the add-on CRFSC, the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course. When you apply for your PAL, you tick the box that you'd also like the 'Restricted' endorsement. This gets you your PAL with Restricted, which most people just refer to as an RPAL.

There is no 'handgun' license in Canada, and no way to get a license that lets you have a handgun, but not have, say, a hunting rifle.

So, long story short, you take CFSC and CRFSC course, usually it's a day and a half combined.
    The difference between a 'citizen' and a 'subject' is the right, and responsibility, to bear arms.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By TheCenturion

lipervitch (01-03-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8ness View Post
    Hey guys,

All I want is to have a handgun (not a shotgun or a rifle) to protect my family. Do I need to take both courses, or can I just take the CFSC???
    This statement is exactly why you need to take both courses. After you take both courses you'll realize how absurd this statement is.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By StouffvilleGuy

r5s78 (03-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by StouffvilleGuy View Post
    This statement is exactly why you need to take both courses. After you take both courses you'll realize how absurd this statement is.
    Imagine that....somebody who openly admitted he was new to guns in his first post by writing "I'm new to the world of firearms" and was asking which course he should take.

What was the point of your post, other than to mock somebody who wasn't born into such great knowledge as when you were born?

Imagine that....somebody who openly admitted he was new to guns in his first post by writing "I'm new to the world of firearms" and was asking which course he should take.

What was the point of your post, other than to mock somebody who wasn't born into such great knowledge as when you were born?
    What he's trying to say is don't tell anybody you want a handgun to protect your family. Just don't. Never say it again. You want a handgun to participate in the great sport of target shooting. Remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by StouffvilleGuy View Post

Well that broke down quickly..

Gr8ness - I don't believe StouffvilleGuy meant any offence, but his post was a little lacking in tact.

He is correct, however - Protection is not a valid reason to own a restricted firearm in Canada. If you use that as your reason, your license will be denied. Once you learn about our storage and transportation laws, you'll find that it's pretty difficult to store it legally and with easy, quick access; our laws are specifically designed to prevent quick, easy access to restricted firearms.
    "I don't have a firearms problem; they all work perfectly well." - Strike that. I do have a problem; the gov't has decided some are too dangerous to own.
    Membership: CCFR, SAFGC
    Gov’t couldn’t make sense if you gave them a recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by DanN View Post
    He is correct, however - Protection is not a valid reason to own a restricted firearm in Canada.
    Just to be perfectly clear, it IS a valid reason according to the law, but not according to the bureaucrats. The bureaucrats are permitted to trump the law.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By IJ22

shootemup604 (02-16-2017)

Gr8ness - I don't believe StouffvilleGuy meant any offence, but his post was a little lacking in tact.

He is correct, however - Protection is not a valid reason to own a restricted firearm in Canada. If you use that as your reason, your license will be denied. Once you learn about our storage and transportation laws, you'll find that it's pretty difficult to store it legally and with easy, quick access; our laws are specifically designed to prevent quick, easy access to restricted firearms.
    That's an understatement lol. Finesse has never been my thing, but thank you for recognizing what my underlining point was.

My comment had no ill intention, I truly don't want him being screwed over in both the licensing process or in a real world situation where a handgun would be useless.

14. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By StouffvilleGuy

DanN (02-15-2017), IJ22 (02-16-2017)

Thank you for the clarification.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast