Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    No, you can't bring a gun back from the US. The problem isn't on this side of the border...its the US side. In order to bring a firearm, firearm part, or firearm accessory out of the US, you would have to make an application through ITAR. In order to do that, you would have to be in the US when the application is made, and as far as I know, be there though out the processing time, until they sent back approval.

You no longer require an ATT if you have the restricted endorsement on your PAL. That being said, you can't transport restricted firearms just anywhere. They allow for transport "by a reasonably direct route" from your home, to a certified range, and back again. You can take them to a gunsmith, retailer for appraisal purposes...and I honestly can't remember all 6 conditions right now. Do a search on bill C-42. That was the parliamentary act that got rid of the need for a paper ATT.

As Kenney suggested, join a gun club. That's probably the highest concentration of hunters you're likely to find.

As for the rest of the info...sorry...I'm not going to be much help on those points.

AND....Welcome to Canada !
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    No, you can't bring a gun back from the US. The problem isn't on this side of the border...its the US side. In order to bring a firearm, firearm part, or firearm accessory out of the US, you would have to make an application through ITAR. In order to do that, you would have to be in the US when the application is made, and as far as I know, be there though out the processing time, until they sent back approval.
    If you are planning on keeping your American Citizenship this may not apply to you because you would just be technically bringing them in for the duration of your stay. Like Canadians taking firearms south of the border when they go on holidays. Best to ask The American authorities on this one.
    CFSC and CRFSC Instructor to Santa

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf67nt View Post
    If you are planning on keeping your American Citizenship this may not apply to you because you would just be technically bringing them in for the duration of your stay. Like Canadians taking firearms south of the border when they go on holidays. Best to ask The American authorities on this one.
    I was just gonna say....as a US citizen there are going to be some rules on the South side of the border we have to follow that you don't. Not quite sure what they'd be though....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.