Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The law says you have to be the holder of a registration certificate. But holder seems to mean that you're in the computer. (the paper copy you have might have been revoked)
    The law then says you have to present the certificate upon demand to a peace officer, which seems to mean that you're in possession of the paper.

But the law also says that the staff at the Canadian Firearms Program are committing an indictable offence every time they transfer a firearm, and that gets ignored. I wonder if Suzanne Legault will take up this 'injustice'.

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    The law says you have to be the holder of a registration certificate. But holder seems to mean that you're in the computer. (the paper copy you have might have been revoked)
    The law then says you have to present the certificate upon demand to a peace officer, which seems to mean that you're in possession of the paper.
    Exactly. I printed off my transfer notification, so it's paper I can present. The paper, even a registration certificate, it can be argued, is simply documentation of the certificate, not the certificate itself. The certificate exists in the CFP hall of records, or whatever. As far as I know, the transfer notification contains all the information the registration certificate contains.

Also, the notification itself says I need an ATT to take possession of the firearm, nothing about waiting for the "official" registration certificate. I take that to mean I can drive down to the seller's house and get my firearm immediately, which I believe is the common practice. If I can do that legally, I should be able to take it to the range legally. I think the CFOs that say you can't are blowing thunder.

When the LGR ended, the CFOs told businesses that they had to continue to record {name, address, PAL, make, model, serial, etc} in the CFO log book for non-restricted firearms, but they no longer had to record the certificate number, because the certificate number was the registry certificate the law was getting rid of, and not the {name, address, PAL, make, model, serial, etc}.
    Businesses, PALers, MPs, and the media, said "say what?"
    And that was mostly cleared up a few months later by Parliament.

I'm not sure how powerful the ATT is. Can an ATT, for example, allow someone to transfer firearms that don't yet have registration certificates, or have had their registration certificates revoked? (e.g. imports, exports). I note the "Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations" and "Storage, Display and Transportation of Firearms and Other Weapons by Businesses Regulations" make no mention of certificates.

Bill C42 had a bit about a condition of your RPAL now being that a buyer could, without a separate ATT, go to wherever to take possession of the firearm that had been transferred to you (but not the seller). You still have to wait for transfer approval and a new registration certificate number.

This showed up exactly 1 day before my happy-pew-pews showed up [complete with a new license card...is that weird? I find that weird]

"SPECIAL CONDITIONS
    Carry this document with your licence card as you must be able to produce this document on demand if requested by a peace officer or other authority.

These licence conditions authorize the transport of restricted and/or prohibited firearms registered to the licence holder within their province of residence by a route that, in all circumstances, is reasonably direct for the specific indicated purposes.
    Transport of restricted firearms and/or prohibited handguns (12(6.1)) possessed for the purpose of target practice to and from all shooting clubs and ranges approved under section 29 of the Firearms Act.
    Transport of restricted firearms and/or prohibited firearms to and from any place a peace officer, firearms officer or chief firearms officer is located for verification, registration or disposal in accordance with the Firearms Act or Part III of the Criminal Code.
    Transport of restricted firearms and/or prohibited firearms to and from a business that holds a license authorizing it to repair or appraise prohibited or restricted firearms.
    Transport of restricted firearms and/or prohibited firearms to and from a gun show.
    Transport of restricted firearms and/or prohibited firearms to a port of exit, in order to take them outside Canada and from a port of entry.
    Transport of a newly acquired restricted firearms and/or prohibited firearms from the place of acquisition to the licence holder's dwelling house or other place authorized by the chief firearms officer.

...now..to my and my limited understanding, the first point seems to contradict the rest of the points?
    Unless the item is registered immediately to the new owner upon approval/transfer when such is granted by the CFO's office?

They look like the normal, post Bill C42, conditions to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SeirX View Post
    ...now..to my and my limited understanding, the first point seems to contradict the rest of the points?
    I don't see how. Please explain.

Unless the item is registered immediately to the new owner upon approval/transfer when such is granted by the CFO's office?
    Yes, the restricted/prohibited firearm is registered to you immediately upon CFO approval of the transfer. Has been thus since ~2000.

Well, being new to the bureaucracy of firearms.....there's a lot I don't understand-in-full as of yet.

"...authorize the transport of restricted and/or prohibited firearms registered to the licence holder ...."
    That bit there says to me that I should have received a form or certificate or *something* with an official-registration kind of thing on it..a simple bit of text I could have printed off at home doesn't seem like it would cut it, should things go south with a 'peace' officer.

Maybe my expectations are higher than the reality of the thing.

Well, being new to the bureaucracy of firearms.....there's a lot I don't understand-in-full as of yet.
    "...authorize the transport of restricted and/or prohibited firearms registered to the licence holder ...."
    That bit there says to me that I should have received a form or certificate or *something* with an official-registration kind of thing on it..a simple bit of text I could have printed off at home doesn't seem like it would cut it, should things go south with a 'peace' officer.
    When the CFO authorizes the transfer, you should get information about the transfer authorization approval, usually some sort of a document faxed or emailed to you before you can pick up the restricted firearm, and it will have a registration certificate number on it. This is not a registration certificate, but because you have the registration certificate number a police officer can use the CFRO (Canadian Firearms Registry Online) to look up in the CFP (Canadian Firearms Program) database that your firearm is registered.

Within about two weeks of the transfer, and thus about two weeks after you've brought the firearm home, you should receive in the snail mail two letters. The first an envelope from the RCMP saying that you will receive your registration certificate tomorrow. The second an envelope with a green piece of paper from the RCMP with the registration certificate in it. This is just a one sided letter on piece of paper which you may photocopy, and cut out the tiny card sized portion of the paper that is the registration certificate. I keep a copy in my files, a copy in my secure storage, a copy in my wallet, and a copy in my firearms transport opaque case. This is the one that you must keep on you whenever you transport your firearms, so that you can present it to the officer "on demand" as required by Law.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12