Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    If it's a month before your expiry date, call up the CFC and in a diplomatic and respectful way, ask them what the f--- is up. Why haven't I gotten my new card yet. It's my understanding that if your pal expires, you have a 6 month grace period where you're not supposed to leave your house with your firearms, and it's a time buffer to get it sorted out between you and the firearms center and cfo. After the 6 month grace period, you COULD be charged with illegal possession. I don't know anyone who's just let their pal expire. WAY back, my dad just let his POL expire, and it was a big fat nothing burger for a few decades after. That was until his insane x wife decided to cause some crap and called the police. They took his guns but didn't charge him. There was no violence involved at all, and the cops knew she was a nutjob within 2 minutes of arriving and talking to her. I was scheduled to come back to Ontario and visit him anyway. I went down to the OPP station with him and verified that they were still there. I showed them my PAL, and told them that he was giving me the guns. I'll be back in an hour with some cases. Not technically required for transport as the were all non restricted, but it became quickly obvious that the cop I was talking to wasn't well versed on the firearms act. Best to just go with the myths they hear while learning law at the donut shop. Anyway, I went by Canadian tire and bought some locks and hard cases....went to the OPP station, grabbed the guns, and mailed them to myself in Edmonton. Unless you've done something to get the cops bent at you, and as long as you're calm, respectful, and willing to go along with what they want to do, most cops aren't out there to chop anybody's fingers off. At least that's been my experience. If you're regularly out with your guns and the firearms center is dragging their heals, start harassing them on a regular basis to get it done or tell you why it's not being done. If all you have is non restricted stuff and let your pal expire, they don't have any way of knowing that you have guns in the house, so unless you or somebody else gives them a reason, they're not going to come looking...ever.
    I can just see myself, after work on Friday...
    Speeding to the hunting area to meet with the other guys.
    And... I get pulled over... on a Friday night...

Have you been drinking, smoking?
    Any booze, drugs or weapons in the vehicle?

Oh, you have a firearm in the trunk and an expired firearm licence...
    No sir, I have never heard of a 'six month grace period' after your licence has expired.
    Is your drivers licence still valid after it expires?

Step out of the vehicle please...
    LOL
    Last edited by ultimaix; 12-02-2023 at 09:37 PM.