Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    If it's a month before your expiry date, call up the CFC and in a diplomatic and respectful way, ask them what the f--- is up. Why haven't I gotten my new card yet. It's my understanding that if your pal expires, you have a 6 month grace period where you're not supposed to leave your house with your firearms, and it's a time buffer to get it sorted out between you and the firearms center and cfo. After the 6 month grace period, you COULD be charged with illegal possession. I don't know anyone who's just let their pal expire. WAY back, my dad just let his POL expire, and it was a big fat nothing burger for a few decades after. That was until his insane x wife decided to cause some crap and called the police. They took his guns but didn't charge him. There was no violence involved at all, and the cops knew she was a nutjob within 2 minutes of arriving and talking to her. I was scheduled to come back to Ontario and visit him anyway. I went down to the OPP station with him and verified that they were still there. I showed them my PAL, and told them that he was giving me the guns. I'll be back in an hour with some cases. Not technically required for transport as the were all non restricted, but it became quickly obvious that the cop I was talking to wasn't well versed on the firearms act. Best to just go with the myths they hear while learning law at the donut shop. Anyway, I went by Canadian tire and bought some locks and hard cases....went to the OPP station, grabbed the guns, and mailed them to myself in Edmonton. Unless you've done something to get the cops bent at you, and as long as you're calm, respectful, and willing to go along with what they want to do, most cops aren't out there to chop anybody's fingers off. At least that's been my experience. If you're regularly out with your guns and the firearms center is dragging their heals, start harassing them on a regular basis to get it done or tell you why it's not being done. If all you have is non restricted stuff and let your pal expire, they don't have any way of knowing that you have guns in the house, so unless you or somebody else gives them a reason, they're not going to come looking...ever.
    I can just see myself, after work on Friday...
    Speeding to the hunting area to meet with the other guys.
    And... I get pulled over... on a Friday night...

Have you been drinking, smoking?
    Any booze, drugs or weapons in the vehicle?

Oh, you have a firearm in the trunk and an expired firearm licence...
    No sir, I have never heard of a 'six month grace period' after your licence has expired.
    Is your drivers licence still valid after it expires?

Step out of the vehicle please...
    LOL
    Last edited by ultimaix; 12-02-2023 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimaix View Post
    You may be correct, but that is not what I see written about the grace period.
    Actually what I read is the grace period is for 'US', incase we forget to renew in time.
    Not for the RCMP to use to drag out the renewal times.
    And I read it as 'I' am solely held responsible for having firearms 6 months after my PAL expires.
    Unless you know something different than I can find?
    I have tried looking...
    After you have sent in the renewal it is out of your hands. How are you than held responsible.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I can just see myself, after work on Friday...
    Speeding to the hunting area to meet with the other guys.
    And... I get pulled over... on a Friday night...

Have you been drinking, smoking?
    Any booze, drugs or weapons in the vehicle?

Oh, you have a firearm in the trunk and an expired firearm licence...
    No sir, I have never heard of a 'six month grace period' after your licence has expired.
    Is your drivers licence still valid after it expires?

Step out of the vehicle please...
    LOL
    These days, the cops can't keep people in jail who stabbed someone while high on meth. They aren't going to throw you in the clink if your piece of plastic has last month's date on it. Years ago, someone made up a sheet with all the transportation laws on it, and around the outside border was a phone number the cops could call to get information if they didn't know the firearms act. I keep a copy of that in all of my vehicles just in case I get pulled over and the cop won't believe that I know the firearms act better than they do. That said, I've never had to pull one out.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

There is what makes sense...
    And then there is the law...

The burden in court would be up to me to prove that the law does not apply to me.
    That's really not a good position to be in...
    (it is not my fault I possess a firearm with a licence, its the RCMP's fault for not renewing on time)

Because of liability reasons the cop (at minimum) isn't going to let you leave with the firearm.
    He may arrest you and tow your car if he does not believe you.
    You get to spend money in court...
    Why?
    Because you cannot prove what you say to a cop at that moment on the side of the road.

You have good advice about keeping copies of everything.
    But most of us do not do that.
    LOL
    Last edited by ultimaix; 12-03-2023 at 02:19 PM.

With an RPAL,conditions are printed on it,therefore,you must carry it with you. With a PAL,there's only a blank piece of paper. Why would it be required that we carry a blank? Toss it.....common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by spider69 View Post
    With an RPAL,conditions are printed on it,therefore,you must carry it with you. With a PAL,there's only a blank piece of paper. Why would it be required that we carry a blank? Toss it.....common sense.
    I agree !
    And on the back of the plastic RPAL or PAL there is a 'Conditions' section.
    So why would we need to carry both ?

The issue I have is:
    - this this a law?
    - what is the penalty for not carrying this piece of paper?
    - Can we laminate it?

Or are these just words on a piece of paper with no regulation or law backing it?
    It states we need to be licenced, but I cannot find what we are required to produce to prove it.

What conditions do you have on your RPAL ?
    I don't have any conditions on my RPAL.
    Last edited by ultimaix; 12-03-2023 at 12:14 PM.

I don't have any conditions on my RPAL.
    Yes you do, the attached conditions pertain to the ATT. It states what ATT conditions are automaticly covered and which conditions you nedd to apply for an ATT to transport a restricted firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by ESnel View Post
    Yes you do, the attached conditions pertain to the ATT. It states what ATT conditions are automaticly covered and which conditions you nedd to apply for an ATT to transport a restricted firearm.
    I have a RPAL but I have never owned a restricted weapon.
    So both my licence and the conditions paper are blank?
    (maybe this is adding to my confusion...)

Question
    Are the conditions on your piece of paper also on the back of your licence?

I have a RPAL but I have never owned a restricted weapon.
    So both my licence and the conditions paper are blank?
    If you have an RPAL, you should have the piece of paper. It came with your licence card.

Are the conditions on your piece of paper also on the back of your licence?
    No. They are different. The wording on the paper is more extensive, and
    the words/wording it says are prescribed by law. The CFO is required to say those exact things, and they do.

I found a copy of Varsil post from Reddit here:
    Someone should put this in your sticky section.
    The guy has done his homework on this.

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...onditions-quot
    Last edited by ultimaix; 12-03-2023 at 01:31 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast