Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I think the mind set of reloading simply to save money leads to reloading becoming a chore. If it's a chore then time is money becomes a big factor but IMHO then you're reloading for the wrong reason

My journey into reloading started when it looked like ammo was looking to get scarce( it happens almost on cycle and around the time of US elections). What I discovered was I enjoyed it and found it relaxing, it allowed me to create specific loads to the firearm and application, I got a better understanding of how firearms function( bulet weights,shapes,rifling) and my groups got smaller along with accuracy increace.The cost savings does happen especially in the larger calibers and less popular ones.

I think if you have a lot going on and reloading is a rushed event or a chore then time is money and you probably don't have time or an additional hobby. Reloading is a hobby and when you start looking at your other hobbies on a time cost basis... guess what it's not a hobby

2. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By ESnel

akimiski (11-30-2022), Aniest (11-30-2022), Battle Beaver (11-30-2022), harbl_the_cat (11-30-2022), Swingerguy (11-30-2022)

I enjoy many aspects of reloading, like shutting out everything else and concentrating on the task at hand, I enjoy the precision that goes along with trying to make more and more accurate loads, i also like having components to be able to load up some bullets when non-reloaders are trying to find ammo.
    I also enjoy the fact that I can make a loaded round of 9mm for around $0.20 each (I haven't had to buy components in a while) vs around $0,70 each for relatively inexpensive factory ammo.
    The above cost doesn't take into account any of my reloading equipment, of which there is a lot, and they don't give that stuff away. By the time you pay for the equipment needed you could have bought alot of factory ammo. I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting into reloading because it is a great hobby, just make sure you really enjoy shooting enough and actually shoot enough to warrant the cost.

There are ways to lower equipment cost, such as buying used, most of the more expensive things don't easily wear out.

4. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Swingerguy

akimiski (11-30-2022), Aniest (11-30-2022), harbl_the_cat (11-30-2022)

You might not save money now reloading, but you can make more accurate ammo (With lots of time/learning/experimentation). Like harbl mentioned, the price of stuff only goes up so if you buy components now, you save later and have more accurate ammo. I have enough components to make at least a couple of thousand rounds of each of the calibers I shoot. And I’ll shoot it at 1/5 of the cost of factory ammo now. Also, the factory ammo and/or components might not be around when you need it in a few years.

Heh yeah I started with a lee loadmaster kit that came with 45 acp and 223 dies and 100 of each bullet. $200 USD for the lot. X-mas deal south of the border. On the way back I declared it and they waved me through! I thought the projectiles would cause a stir but apparently not (at least that one time).

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Smc

Rory McCanuck (12-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by akimiski View Post
    "Don't buy plastic guns, it's going to be hard to find parts of an Italian gun,
    Any parts you need for Benelli, Beretta, Franchi are all at https://www.stoegercanada.ca/ https://www.stoegercanada.ca/parts/

Never had any issues with ordering parts from them!

9. The Following User Liked This Post By mikpen14

Aniest (12-01-2022)

Except they ship via UPS, which is basically a crime.

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By awndray

Aniest (12-01-2022), Smc (11-30-2022)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345