Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Entry Two - Getting set up

I decided to get that first rifle, but with a hesitant (yet gracious) wife and a house full of kids, I made a covenant that I was gonna do it right. So I went and did the PAL, learned about guns and safety and all that jazz. Next step was to get the house ready for the change. Off to Canadian tire (CT) I went and caught one of their sales on gun cabinets ($150):

20210707_211721.jpg

Yes, I know you guys are gonna say that I should have just gone for at least a 12-gun cabinet but in my mind, I was never gonna need that much space anyway. I will admit that I am already seeing that I may need to upgrade down the road though....no need to rub it in.

So with cabinet bought, assembled and installed, my next purchase was a run-of-the-mill gun case for transport. I treated that purchase like I was shopping for a lap-top bag: make sure it is padded and has compartments. Those basic criteria gave me quite a list to choose from so I just went on amazon, pointed and clicked ($36).

Next, was the big day! I went to work, finished my shift, then headed back to CT and picked up this little starter:

20210716_135414.jpg

...a Savage 64F semi-auto .22lr.

From my research, it came down to this and the 10/22. A lot of folks complained about the 64F jamming and not firing, very few had anything bad to say about the 10/22. I chose to roll the dice on the 64F because it was a hell of a lot cheaper ($170), there were some people who swore by it, I was new to the whole thing and would have just as much to learn if I bought a $2,000 piece, and the purchases were beginning to add up.

I picked up a 100 pack of cartridges the same time and headed home agrinning. That night I went online and purchased a range membership ($150), a cleaning kit from amazon ($30) and ear muffs/glasses ($30).

Having parted ways with just under $700 (taxes included), I was now ready for my first trip to the range, which I shall share on the next episode of this yet-to-be-titled documentary.
    Last edited by Muzikal; 07-16-2021 at 03:27 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Muzikal

blacksmithden (07-16-2021), Rory McCanuck (07-17-2021)