Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    You should pick a closer target to start. Even with open sights you should hit the target every single time.
    this x2

even if/when you put an optic on the rifle it is recommendable to start the sight-in process at 25yards to ensure you are even on paper, then move out to your desired distance [some people will say at 100 yard intervals for the really long range stuff]

I echo what the others said already.

For me, there is nothing more frustrating than not knowing where I am hitting.

So yeah, shoot a bit closer until you can be more consistent and possibly use a more visible target like the splatterburst (available at gun shops, amazon, etc):

If your range has a gong, that's always fun. If your range has any disciplines like silhouette, cowboy action, etc, those are great places to meet fellow shooters and most of them are happy to help a new guy learn the ropes.

If you do put a site on your rifle, like a scope or a red dot, sighting in might be frustrating the first time too, but don't be shy to ask for help. That guy with the 7mm probably would have been happy to help you site in your rifle if you had an optic on it and needed assistance.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By chuckufarlie

Big-Boss-Man (07-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by chuckufarlie View Post
    That guy with the 7mm probably would have been happy to help you site in your rifle if you had an optic on it and needed assistance.
    everyone I have met at the ranges I have been to are REALLY friendly. There has been more than a few occasions where other members have traded me a magazine in order to try out their firearms, and visa versa. I have tried a 9mm Sprinfield XDS, ruger comander 45acp 1911, a winchester 30-30 lever, and an SKS thats all i can think off the top of my head. I've let other try all mine aswell. Specially the Masada cause I am so blown away how soft it shoots for being polymer I think everyone needs one lol.

Yeah - I've accepted that I probably started off with a target that was too far away. I'll chalk that up to youthful exuberance. :-)

Round 2...coming up!

Muzical, are you squeezing the trigger (slow steady increase in pressure until it goes off), or pulling the trigger (it's on target, quick, pull it before the sights wander off target)?

What is your sight picture when you're aiming? You should have the front sight post equally spaced from side to side within the rear sight, and the top of the post should be level with the top of the rear sight. Also, try a 6 o'clock hold, where the black centre of your target is sitting on top of the front sight post.

As for cleaning, I'd let that go for quite a while. I don't clean until I see accuracy drop off.
    "Everything Government touches turns to shit."

Quote Originally Posted by stevebc View Post
    Muzical, are you squeezing the trigger (slow steady increase in pressure until it goes off), or pulling the trigger (it's on target, quick, pull it before the sights wander off target)?

As for cleaning, I'd let that go for quite a while. I don't clean until I see accuracy drop off.
    I have read a lot of posts about 'squeezing' vs 'pulling' the trigger, and was very cognizant of the need to squeeze. However, I have to admit that the bolded section of your post above was in my mind more often than I'd like while I was shooting. I take that as an indication that I may be pulling more than squeezing.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Muzikal

Rory McCanuck (07-20-2021)

There should really be a semi-organized program where people who grew up with firearms take people who got into it at an older age under their wing. There's a lot of little things you take for granted.

10. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By Grimlock

Big-Boss-Man (07-19-2021), Muzikal (07-20-2021), Rory McCanuck (07-20-2021), stevebc (07-20-2021)

I misread the title- I thought it was "The Journey of a Newfie" and thought it was about moving home from the oil patch or something- Welcome to the forum , happy shooting- Mapleseed like was mentioned before is a god start.
    "You Cannot Comply Your Way Out of Tyranny"

12. The Following User Liked This Post By 3MTA3

JustBen (07-22-2021)

Entry 4

Man, Its been a busy summer! Me and the family did way more road trips than we planned, not to mention some special projects that work decided to throw my way just because....

As a result, I wasn't been able to have a rematch with the targets at the range....up until a couple days ago. First off, since my last abysmal showing at the range, I went and got a scope and mounted it to my rifle. I got this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had initially intended to get the scope from Canadian Tire, but they sell everything in pieces. I would have to get the scope, then the mounting rings, then the dovetail mounts,....I didn't want to have to deal with all that. So when I stumbled on this all-in-one 'kit' on Amazon, I decided to give to give a try and it worked out very well for me. I had it mounted on the rifle for just over a month before I was able to start the sighting in process. I say 'start' because I still don't have it set just right yet. I was getting close, but I had an appointment and had to skedaddle in the middle of the session.

So on this particular day, I got all my gear together (including a different brand of ammo - I am trying to see what the rifle will/won't take) and headed out. This time I went to the 22 section of the range and set up with a closer target - about 10 or so yards. You might recall that at my last session I was shooting with a guy half my age. This time I was blessed to have a guy twice my age who was tightening up his groups...even though I don't know how much tighter you can get than putting 4 bullets in the same hole from 100yds.

With his help I was able to walk away feeling very good about myself and my future in this hobby (see image below). I have numbered my groups to show the progression through the session. He also taught me how to get rid of that halo in the scope and gave me tips about scope placement, shooting posture, etc. He was a god-send.

I plan to get back out there in the coming days to really tighten my groups as I have set a goal of at least one grouse by the end of the season.

20210921_215241.jpg

Cheers all!

I remember when I first started lurking around this forum, I had asked for recommendations on that "one gun" that I should buy. Someone (I forget who) had corrected me, saying that the question should be "which gun to buy FIRST".

I laughed it off. I wasn't about to become one of those gun nuts with a collection of boom sticks.

Well, I have recently been reminded about the dangers of memorizing one's credit card info and randomly searching things on the internet.

This came in a few days ago....

20211007_155729.jpg

15. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Muzikal

Big-Boss-Man (10-25-2021), JustBen (10-11-2021), Swingerguy (10-12-2021)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast