Quote Originally Posted by CSC View Post

Repairs: range guns get run hard and put away wet. They will constantly need to be cleaned, inspected and repaired. The best guns to run are current production guns with a reputation for reliability and good parts supply. Next best are military designs which usually have lots of parts floating around.
As an aside, it will pay to make damned sure that you have a staff member who is directly responsible for cleaning and maintaining the rental pool. Broken or constantly jamming guns will discourage sales and tie up staff. I know at a commercial gun range and retail operation, you wind up wearing many hats, and have to multi-task. This is one task I'd set time aside for every morning. It would help if the staff member actually knows how to disassemble and reassemble the guns.

Way back when, I had a new shooter on the line for a supervised shoot. He'd done his club safety course and had progessed up from the .22lr. He was firing the .45 for the first time. Well he would have if he could have inserted the mag.

We took the gun off the range to the cleaning bench for a look see. The range owners son had cleaned the Colt 1991. (Remember those?) The good news is most of the parts were in nearly the right order... He'd installed the series 80 levers wrong with the tip of one poking into the magwell. The hammer pin was where the mainspring pin should be, and vice-versa.