Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    There is an endless array of .22 pistols - My first was the Ruger MkII - it is a classic, and very nice. Visit your gun owner friends, fondle their .22 pistols, go to the shops and fondle their pistols, and when you find one you like - buy it.

Ditto to pretty much all of the above. I've found that if you go into a store and just tell them you're new and ask some intelligent questions, they're extremely helpful. I'm in Durham Region, so I've been to Firearms Outlet Canada in Ajax, Williams Arms in Port Perry, Gagnon Sports in Oshawa, and Target Sports in Gormley. Everyone I've encountered was friendly and had some comments or tips about things I didn't think of. Stopped by BassPro in Vaughan, but they don't have any restricted firearms.

As for trying guns, I'm lucky: a friend has been shooting for years and has a pretty decent collection. Once I got my RPAL, we went to the range and tried out a few. The good news is that if you buy something you don't like, you can re-sell it and try something else so keep your eye on the websites for used.
    Finally getting back out to the range with my threesome:
    Ruger Mark IV, CZ SP-01 Shadow, Ruger SP101.

Yes, I have more guns than my husband.

I can say one thing against 22, it's hard to see holes at 25 yards, if you can't see all your holes, it's hard to learn to shoot well, just one thing to think about. My first was a 9mm, second was a 22, it rarely comes out of safe.

If you're not the sort that needs a rush when you pull the trigger, .22 is perfect to begin with. Those of us who started young started with a .22

The complaints you hear the most are about how "boring" it is. The cure for that is a 12 gauge (channeling my childhood there)

For a pistol, personal experience suggests to buy one that was designed as a .22. I've had issues with conversion kits for pistol and rifle that go beyond accuracy.

For a target rifle, look into bolt guns. Dollar for dollar you're more likely to get a more accurate gun than you will with a semi auto, if you're buying quality.

The best way to try guns is to be a people person at the range. I personally enjoy letting new shooters try what I have if they express a curiosity.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Mark-II

Madrach (04-20-2017)

Hey guys. Man I missed this site. I finally got my PAL/RPAL and I think I have settled on a gun. I'm really looking at a Savage Mk 2 FV Heavy barrel. I've heard synthetic stocks have some issues and factory iron sights are of poorer quality. Could you guys let me know what to expect of this gun or if there is a more affordable and higher quality option? I'm only particular on .22LR, bolt action, and preferably Canadian made. Thanks guys.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Doug

Swampdonkey (09-08-2017)

Can't argue with the above, the 22lr will make a fine first rifle.

However, if I had to do it again I would choose the shotgun. No other firearm puts a smile on my face like the shotgun.

target sports has guns you can try and buy. it's 20 mins or so from 404 and 401.

first determine where you will be shooting.
    consider trying skeet in barrie and Uxbridge...
    as deerbeargrouse said, shotguns 100 percent over 22lr....if u have a place to shoot them.

no comment on pistols...still a noob.

I have to agree with the .22 for starting off, especially for the rifle.

Just a couple of points: If you buy quality, you will have it and enjoy it for the rest of your life. If you buy used, you will be able to sell or trade it for around the same as you paid for it, as long as you don't buy a lemon (they are out there also). Before you buy, sniff around some of your gunny friends and ask for the opportunity to put a couple of rounds downrange; offer to cover the ammo costs.

For a pistol, .22 is a good choice. A good alternative is a .38/357 revolver, especially if you will one day reload. Before you go that direction, look at the price of ammo for 100 rounds of .22 versus 100 rounds of .38.
    "Chances are your relatives would not have picked you either"

...from the Graz family crest.

Everyone should own a .22LR pistol. If only for teaching newcomers to the sport how to shoot.

There are lots of good prices on 22s. And I recently saw some very good prices on 22 revolvers from a vendor here. So a revolver and a pistol might be an idea as well.

Revolver would let you try a few different methods of target shooting as well. Indulge your inner Lone Ranger.

Of course, being GTA, getting the range membership taken care of might be the bigger purchase to deal with first (time & $$). And depending on your mobility, a rifle might be best to wait on. Go with what will be most convenient to shoot. Treat it like a gym membership. Best one is the one that's easiest to get to/use. Let's you meet the most peopl and learn the most, fastest.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast