It really can't be stated enough that the course is dead simple to pass. Arguably, too simple to pass. The instructor wants you to pass. None of the questions are 'gotchas' or designed to trip you up or trick you; some of them are written awkwardly or stupidly, but it's just awkward writing, not trying to trap you.

Take advantage of the hands-on time during the course to familiarize yourself with all of the different actions and styles. Even during the practical, it's perfectly cromulent to say 'I'm not familiar with this exact make/model; where is the safety? Can the magazine be ejected with the safety on?" and so on.

Somebody else mentioned always setting the safety when you're done handling the firearm; that's a good catch, and oddly, something that gets glossed over in the course. I'd add to that, get into the habit of putting down the firearm with the action open whenever possible. Slide locked back, cylinder out, bolt open (or even removed,) whatever. Safety on if possible. I'd say that putting the firearm down with the action open is better than action closed and safety on, but I'd narrate that too. "I've now proven the firearm unloaded and safe. I'm putting it down with the action open for easy inspection. This is a 1911-style handgun, so the safety cannot be engaged with the slide open, so I'm not engaging it."