Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    You got to choose?

I did both restricted and non-restricted rolled into one course. Two practicals done at the same time. The instructor had a whole bunch of various actions; rifles, shotguns, pistols, revolvers all scattered across the table. He then said "Pick up a *insert non restricted action here* and prove it safe". After that was done he said "Now pick up a *insert restricted action here* and prove it safe".

I got what he called the cowboy combo, a lever action rifle and a double action revolver. My dad got a pump action shotgun and a semi-auto pistol iirc.

Either way, don't worry about it too much OP. Pay attention and you'll be just fine. My girlfriend did her PAL and RPAL last year. She'd shot a few times with me and I'd given her a basic run down of the actions I own (bolt, pump, semi rifle) but she had to learn the practical handgun stuff in the course as I don't own any right now. She passed with flying colours.
    Yeah, i didn't get to choose either, and i got the lever gun as well

You guys have better memories than me
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    When you do your practical portion, pick a break action shotgun. They're the easiest thing on earth to prove safe. Look down the barrel....yep....unloaded and safe. Done.
    Didn't work that way in Nova Scotia. You are handed something random - no choice. You need to know how to prove it safe, identify ammunition for it, and secure it.

If you have that sort of test in your region, use the break times in the course to become familiar with every type of firearm. If there is a semi-auto shotgun, don't lose a fingertip in the action when you figure out where the bolt release button is. Some classes avoid stocking the semi-auto shotgun for liability reasons, but the place I went had the attitude to prepare you for everything rather than be too protective.

If you're not familiar with how something on that particular rifle/shotgun/handgun works all you have to do is ask.
    They were fine with someone not knowing the button to open the action for instance. They show you how to open it(or release the mag, ect.), then you continue on proving it safe.

It's like passing a driving test. Do everything slow and exaggerated, and narrate what you're doing. Keep an eye on your instructor, they'll probably be giving you little cues.

Remember, kids take the same PAL course adults do, and they pass it all the time. Don't point the test firearm anywhere you're not supposed to, keep your finger well away from the trigger and trigger guard, be able to rattle off ACTS/PROVE, and for the multiple choice tests, whichever answer is the most overly-cautious, in terms of safety, is probably correct.

The test is designed to let people pass it. You really need to be either completely and obnoxiously not paying attention and half-assing it, or be an utter moron to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    When you do your practical portion, pick a break action shotgun. They're the easiest thing on earth to prove safe. Look down the barrel....yep....unloaded and safe. Done.
    I have now sat through the course 3 times (helping instructor not taking it) and it is "please pickup the bolt action rifle" "please pick up the semi automatic shot gun" "please pick up the lever action rifle". You ACTS and PROVE the gun when you pick it up and again when you set it down. You will have to demonstrate how to load each gun. ONCE IT IS LOADED PUT ON THE SAFETY.
    You need to know how to ACTS and PROVE all of them but it is covered in the course and you do get to practice with each kind before hand.
    Know how to read your head stamps and data stamps.
    You will also have to demonstrate a couple of shooting positions (kneeling and standing) and what to do if you have to cross a fence. ACTS and PROVE the gun when you set it down and AGAIN when u pick it up. Even though you just did it when you set it down it is a mark against you if you don't check when you pick it up just in case "something accidentally got in the barrel or action". ALWAYS leave the action open when you are setting down an ACTSed and PROVEd gun.
    The 2 HUGE things is pointed in a safe direction and finger off of trigger and outside of trigger guard and as mentioned before talk your way through because even if you don't completely properly demonstrate what you are doing the examiner will still know what you are attempting to do.
    Last edited by greywolf67nt; 04-18-2016 at 09:44 AM.
    CFSC and CRFSC Instructor to Santa

Dear original poster :

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf67nt View Post
    as mentioned before talk your way through because even if you don't completely properly demonstrate what you are doing the examiner will still know what you are attempting to do.
    Yes.
    The 2008 manual had a full page repeating ACTS & PROVE only on every 10th page or so.
    During the practical test, mumble out the phrases for each letter of ACTS & PROVE as you're doing it, to explain what you're thinking as you move your hands.
    And of course, do the correct things with your hands -- no touching the trigger, no sweeping the instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    You got to choose?
    You get to choose two numbers between 1 and 5 that correlate to the 5 different actions. You should not be given a direct choice as to the two action types you will be tested on, that is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    And of course, do the correct things with your hands -- no touching the trigger, no sweeping the instructor.
    Back when my dad got his license, they had actual range time shooting. Some guy there sweeped everyone on the range!

It really can't be stated enough that the course is dead simple to pass. Arguably, too simple to pass. The instructor wants you to pass. None of the questions are 'gotchas' or designed to trip you up or trick you; some of them are written awkwardly or stupidly, but it's just awkward writing, not trying to trap you.

Take advantage of the hands-on time during the course to familiarize yourself with all of the different actions and styles. Even during the practical, it's perfectly cromulent to say 'I'm not familiar with this exact make/model; where is the safety? Can the magazine be ejected with the safety on?" and so on.

Somebody else mentioned always setting the safety when you're done handling the firearm; that's a good catch, and oddly, something that gets glossed over in the course. I'd add to that, get into the habit of putting down the firearm with the action open whenever possible. Slide locked back, cylinder out, bolt open (or even removed,) whatever. Safety on if possible. I'd say that putting the firearm down with the action open is better than action closed and safety on, but I'd narrate that too. "I've now proven the firearm unloaded and safe. I'm putting it down with the action open for easy inspection. This is a 1911-style handgun, so the safety cannot be engaged with the slide open, so I'm not engaging it."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast