Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Introduction, looking to be a legal gun owner...

Hi, I'm J.P. from Ontario. I'd always thought of myself as somewhat of a survivalist, in my definition of that, someone who wants to live and ensure that their family lives. Utilizing various survival techniques and just being prepared... Not afraid of getting dirty! Due to social decay, I'm really interested in learning to handle a firearm. I want to the ask the legal gun owners here some questions, would like your insight and opinions... Obviously you can see there is some reading... Would appreciate some insight though... Thanks!

1) How safe is it to to own and store a handgun in your home? The last thing I want is to unintentionally facilitate a crime when my gun is stolen by criminals... I recall reading on this gang in Scarborough, they had broken to this gun collectors home, and spent days cutting into the safe where the guns were stored. They left with a number of guns, some refiles were included. This new arsenal, according to the story gave the gang an upper hand and gun violence increased in Scarborough. My question is, do gun owners talk loudly in public about owning guns?? Can they be targeted coming home from the shooting range? It doesn't make sense to me how a legal gun owner, assumingly responsible be robbed by criminals who knew he/she owned a gun... Specifically how do young black men in a gang know who owns a gun, to rob the person of their gun(s)? Most legal gun owners as far I know are white Canadians, hunters and sports man/women... I don't see a connection with young black gang members... This is a partly where I'm paranoid about having a gun in my house, the last thing I want is for my family to be in danger unexpectedly, because somehow of no fault of my own someone knew I owned a gun... One of my theories is as such... The gun store owners or whomever sold you the legal gun, sold your personal information to criminals... I don't want offend any Gun Store owners, just trying to make sense of it, on how gun owners get robbed of their guns...

2) How safe is it to buy a handgun online? I buy things on Amazon and they literally just stuff the package in my mail box when I'm not home... I would imagine the gun purchase comes by Fedex or whatever, and needs to be signed for?? Does the person delivering the package knows what's inside maybe due to familiarity of the address of the sender?

3) C'mon I'm sure at least one person here has heard this before... Legal gun owners are targeted by the government (whose probably monitoring these kinds of forums)... Fact or fiction?...

Thank you!
    Last edited by Jpnguyento; 02-22-2016 at 11:41 AM.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Jpnguyento

Swampdonkey (03-01-2016)

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    A simple hello would have sufficed.

Read the rules. I think you are pushing #7.

welcome to the forums (kinda?)
    Last edited by FALover; 02-22-2016 at 11:49 AM.
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

Welcome to GOC? First rule of fight club, don't talk about fight club.
    Our freedoms ARE the greater good.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Doug_M

Billythreefeathers (02-22-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Jpnguyento View Post
    Hi

1) How safe is it to to own and store a handgun in your home?
    2) How safe is it to buy a handgun online?
    3) Legal gun owners are targeted by the government (whose probably monitoring these kinds of forums)... Fact or fiction?...
    Hi.

1) It's as safe as you make it.

The last thing I want is to unintentionally facilitate a crime when my gun is stolen by criminals... I recall reading on this gang in Scarborough, they had broken to this gun collectors home, and spent days cutting into the safe where the guns were stored. They left with a number of guns, some refiles were included. This new arsenal, according to the story gave the gang an upper hand and gun violence increased in Scarborough. My question is, do gun owners talk loudly in public about owning guns?? Can they be targeted coming home from the shooting range? It doesn't make sense to me how a legal gun owner, assumingly responsible be robbed by criminals who knew he/she owned a gun... Specifically how do young black men in a gang know who owns a gun, to rob the person of their gun(s)? Most legal gun owners as far I know are white Canadians, hunters and sports man/women... I don't see a connection with young black gang members... This is a partly where I'm paranoid about having a gun in my house, the last thing I want is for my family to be in danger unexpectedly, because somehow of no fault of my own someone knew I owned a gun... One of my theories is as such... The gun store owners or whomever sold you the legal gun, sold your personal information to criminals... I don't want offend any Gun Store owners, just trying to make sense of it, on how gun owners get robbed of their guns...
    First off, you mean IF, not when. Next, all those other questions and stories; slow down! You're trying to take on too much. Check the forums. You'll find the answers to your questions.

2) It's as safe as buying anything else online. If you would like to know the process, check the Newbie FAQ. There's a recent thread about it.

3) Targeted for what? Please elaborate.

You did the right thing by signing into Gun Owners of Canada. The next step is to find and instructor and take the course - http://www.fseso.org/ While you wait for your course, poke around the forums. Look up CCFR and check out Civil Advantage on YouTube.

Welcome.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By awndray

JustBen (04-16-2016)

Hello to the above three members! Sorry I didn't want to create a thread in the general section as it just adds more weight... I figured saying hi and asking questions here would be better... My bad...

I think safe... So I think I will be a good gun owner... I just want to know how much safer I can be...

#7? Sorry... but what I said was statement of the facts... Didn't mean to coming close to violating #7... Didn't know of another way to make that statement...

No sir I won't talk about fight club...

Maybe I am going to fast but I want it as much insight as possible... To the above, targeted to be robbed of your legal gun... People report legal guns being stolen from their homes...

Sorry all I'll read some threads and search for the answers...

1) Don't be careless. Follow storage regulations and use common sense. Don't tell strangers on downtown street corners that you keep a bunch of guns at home. Sharing your hobby with your coworkers is acceptable, unless you work for a drug dealer or something.....

2) Packages containing firearms are always shipped signature required from retailers.

3) The government gun control bureaucracy was concocted specifically to be a pain in your rear end. If you don't believe me, look up some Allan Rock quotes, he was the guy who designed most of the system and flat out admitted, in public, that his new gun control scheme provided absolutely no element of public safety. It was strictly to discourage people from legally owning firearms.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

10. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By kennymo

Doug_M (02-22-2016), speedloader (04-16-2016)

When storing anything of value, including firearms never forget:

Found equals Open

The contents of bank vaults are not secured by concrete and steel, they are secured by the armed response of the police.

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/show...Holes-vs-Safes

In the thriving metropolis of Beiseker AB.
    Welcome to GOC

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
    You had me at Bacon

NFA

Kennymo, Thank you sir for you input. Having common sense is obviously important as some owners lack it... of course one can only worry about themselves and not the business of others... In the future if I purchase a hand gun it will be online for sure... Allan Rock? Don't know him but sounds like I should read on him and his system... Will have a deeper insight of the laws in Canada... Thank you sir!

Zimilin, Hi. Makes sense... I'm wondering now where to hide a hand gun that's kept in a storage box... Will read your link... Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast