Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Token Female Moderator Candychikita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DougPeach View Post
    Thanks for all the great info, I am smack dab in between ridgedale and abby fish and game so I think it will be a tough choice for me. Most likely I will be joining Abby and later this year ridgedale.
    psst - if you're a member at another club, you can get an associate membership for a discounted price at AFGC with proof of membership elsewhere. other ranges may have the same arrangement.

have fun

Slightly out of the area, but I'm curious about the Hope rod and gun club range I see north of Hope on the Trans-Canada. I've never seen a vehicle parked there. Looks like maybe 100 yds or so. Too far south for me, but might work for some?

I have been a member at quite a few of the ranges in the lower mainland............

The more known ranges are:

Port Coquitlam - I was a member there for quite a few years.........nice facility, but after my experiences there I will only join private ranges.I stay away from public ranges.......too many morons, and the wait times for a bench on weekends can be hours........

Abbotsford - Great range if you do not want to be bothered. It has a more relaxed atmosphere.The draw back is only 100 meter rifle range. But if you are into shooting pistol, there is a great "Skills and Drills" pistol program run on Saturday evenings and IDPA shoots run on Sunday evenings on the indoor range by a good friend of mine. Excellent "Black rifle" and pistol range.

Mission - The only game in town for shooting 300 yards. Well maintained and great facilities. The rules at Mission are a pain in the a$$ for "Black Rifle"/"Service Rifle" shooters as you can only load single rounds in your magazine unless you get permission from the RO.................and if you are firing too quickly you will get grief from the older members.

I have been out of shooting for the last 2 years, but I will be re-joining Abbotsford and Mission this year.....

Chilliwack Fish and Game is nice. its not fancy, but it has trap, pistol(indoor and out), and 200 yard rifle range. And a fancy 3d black powder setup. Nice freindly members, laid back attitude mostly too.

Candy, that associate membership thing sounds great, I may check that out. some of your events sound good.

I can't speak for Chilliwack Today, but in the 80's they were real friendly to kids like me

Hi--I was invited to go hunting at the end of October and totally new to guns and hunting--I have my PAL application submitted, taking CORE in a few weeks, but want to get some experience before going out and buying a hunting rifle and going on this trip. Any places recommended, and do I need to wait for my PAL to arrive before I can practice? Thanks!

Token Female Moderator Candychikita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyF2 View Post
    Hi--I was invited to go hunting at the end of October and totally new to guns and hunting--I have my PAL application submitted, taking CORE in a few weeks, but want to get some experience before going out and buying a hunting rifle and going on this trip. Any places recommended, and do I need to wait for my PAL to arrive before I can practice? Thanks!
    Well...there are a few places you can get some experience. I hope you get all your certification in time.

If your hunting buddies would like to take you out and let you use their firearms under their supervision, you can go that route...most ranges allow members to bring guests for a small (insurance) fee. Depending on the arrangement you have with these hunting buddies and their firearm collections (guns are like chips, you can't have just one) ... you might be able to use one of their firearms for your hunt when your PAL arrives instead of making a rush purchase. Plus that way you get used to their type of instruction/directions AND use the firearm you will be toting on your hunt.

Barring that....for pre-PAL shooting experience...you could get general shooting experience at something like AFGC's drop in .22 classes (supervision, firearms and ammo provided - Peter is very nice to work with) or you could try a place like DVC. DVC is a bit on the costly side, depending on what you would like to shoot...but they have a selection of firearms to try (eg shotguns, rifles, handguns)

http://abbotsfordfishandgameclub.org...orts/22-rifle/
    http://www.vancouvergunrange.ca/first-timers.php

Not sure about what classes the other ranges offer in terms of introducing new shooters to the sport, but those two I know have very supportive and inclusive programs.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by SKULLBOY View Post
    I have been a member at quite a few of the ranges in the lower mainland............

The more known ranges are:

Port Coquitlam - I was a member there for quite a few years.........nice facility, but after my experiences there I will only join private ranges.I stay away from public ranges.......too many morons, and the wait times for a bench on weekends can be hours........

Abbotsford - Great range if you do not want to be bothered. It has a more relaxed atmosphere.The draw back is only 100 meter rifle range. But if you are into shooting pistol, there is a great "Skills and Drills" pistol program run on Saturday evenings and IDPA shoots run on Sunday evenings on the indoor range by a good friend of mine. Excellent "Black rifle" and pistol range.

Mission - The only game in town for shooting 300 yards. Well maintained and great facilities. The rules at Mission are a pain in the a$$ for "Black Rifle"/"Service Rifle" shooters as you can only load single rounds in your magazine unless you get permission from the RO.................and if you are firing too quickly you will get grief from the older members.

I have been out of shooting for the last 2 years, but I will be re-joining Abbotsford and Mission this year.....
    Yes, I know dredging up a thread from the past...but lots of good info here, just wanting to find out how current the info is.

I find myself in the unhappy position of having to change ranges from Poco, which no longer allows night shooting of centrefire. Used to be a bunch of us would meet up on Weds nights to enjoy some peace and quiet (lol!) it was always a very relaxed atmosphere and everybody kinda knew everybody else. Well, due to the housing coming closer to the range they decided to stop all centrefire. I don't know if anyone complained, but heck, either way, someone like me, who only has time in the evening is now screwed.

Anyways, Mission is closest to me, but if they're only allowing single rounds for semi-auto, then that's out. Why the heck are they like that?

I like what you and Candy say about Abbotsford, and especially the night shooting with pistol and IDPA on Sunday nights, but I can't seem to find anything on their website about it. I also would be moving to battle rifle (does that qualify as "black rifle"?) shooting and it seems they don't have a problem with that.

Any other thoughts to add? Sad to leave poco, but if I can't shoot nights, I basically can't shoot so what's the point.

Mission changed their single shot rule, now it's 5 rounds max regardless. Even if you have aics 10 round mags only 5 allowed. But honestly with a bolt action who will know difference between 5 vs 10 rounds. Other than the lack of maintence lately it's been a positive experience. If you want to join September is the time, you get the rest of the year plus next year for price of 1 year.
    CCFR, NRA, MDRGC, AFGC and GDRDC.

Thanks for your thoughts Sandhu. So if I have an e-lander 10-rounder in an m14, I'd just be able to load up 5? Well, better than 1 I suppose lol!! My enfield takes 10'rounds.

What's nice about mission is that they seem to allow night shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast